The Duke of Cambridge has become the Royal Patron of the largest resource for homeless people and those facing housing insecurity in the UK. Prince William’s new role at The Passage was announced on Wednesday morning, just a few hours before he was due to visit.
William has been involved with the organisation for many years and made his first visit there in 1993 with his mother, Diana, Princess of Wales. As the patronage was confirmed, Kensington Palace shared a memento of that trip.
— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) February 13, 2019
His early introduction to the organisation featured in a quote from William shared by his household as the patronage was announced. The Duke of Cambridge said ”the visits I made as a child to this place left a deep and lasting impression upon me – about how important it is to ensure that everyone in our society, especially the poorest, are treated with respect, dignity and kindness, and are given the opportunities to fulfill their potential in life”.
The Passage was set up in 1980 and since then it has helped over 130,000 people without a home or in danger of losing the roof over their head through a resource centre as well as via homelessness prevention projects and innovations in housing services.
The Chief Executive of The Passage, Mick Clarke, said that William’s visits to the organisation made it clear that ”he has a deep concern for those affected by homelessness and a real interest in our work”. He added the patronage was ”a tremendous honour and a testament to how much he genuinely cares about this issue”.
The Duke of Cambridge has a long standing interest in supporting organisations working with the homeless and he is also patron of the charity, Centrepoint, which works with young people affected by homelessness.