They say that the number thirteen is unlucky. Not for our readers as you are now able to open the thirteenth door on our very unique Countdown to Christmas.
Our nostalgic look back today sees us looking at the year 1986.
Firstly lets see what The Queen had to say.
And what happened in that year?
- 12th January- TV show Catchphrase begins on ITV. It is hosted by Roy Walker along with computer Mr Chips.
- 17th February- The UK signs the Single European Act.
- 18th March- Inheritance Tax replaces Capital Transfer Tax.
- 28th April- The first phase of the MetroCentre opens in Gateshead.
- 21st May- The Harrison Birtwistle opera, The Mask of Orpheus, premiers in London.
- 24th June- Ian Paisley’s Democratic Unionist Party stage protest at dissolution of Northern Ireland Assembly.
- 24th July- The Commonwealth Games begin in Edinburgh.
- 29th August- Britain’s oldest twins, May and Majorie Chavasse, celebrate their 100th birthday.
- 8th September- Margaret Thatcher officially opens the first phase of the Nissan car factory in Sunderland.
- 7th October- The first edition of The Independent is published.
- 20th November- Police begin their search for the two newly identified Moors Murders victims.
- 29th December- Former Prime Minister, Harold Macmillan, dies at the age of 92 at his home in Birch Grove, East Sussex.
But just what happened Royally?
- Her Majesty The Queen and Prince Philip make a state visit to China. The first ever by a British Monarch.
- The Queen and Prince Philip also make a state visit to Nepal.
- On 24th April, The Duchess of Windsor (Wallis Simpson) died at her home in Bois de Boulogne. Her funeral was held at St George’s Chapel, Windsor. Considering her feelings towards the Duchess, Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother attended the funeral.
- Her Majesty The Queen and Prince Philip visited Australia.
- Princess Margaret visited British Columbia.
- On the 19th March, Buckingham Palace announced the engagement of Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson.
- On the 23rd July, Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson married at Westminster Abbey.
- A fire causes considerable damage at Hampton Court Palace.
- Prince Charles and Diana, Princess of Wales attend a concert in Vancouver. Their friend Kiri Te Kanewa is a guest soloist.
Join us tomorrow as Royal Central continues its very special Christmas Countdown!
Featured Photo Credit: Tom Page