Their Majesties King Felipe and Queen Letizia of Spain visited Las Ramblas – the site of the terror attack in Barcelona on Saturday.
The King and Queen also laid flowers and candles down in memory of the 14 people who lost their lives and the many injured. The President of the Generalitat of Catalonia, Vice President of the Government and Minister of the Presidency and for the Territorial Administrations, Mayor of Barcelona and the delegate of the government in Catalonia were also present.
They also signed the book of condolence at the Barcelona City Council. Part of their message said, “Terrorism threatens us all and knows no borders, but we are not afraid of it, they will not bend us; Our peaceful and democratic coexistence, our union and our values are infinitely stronger.”
Today, Their Majesties attended mass in Barcelona at the iconic Sagrada Familia. It was conducted by the Cardinal Archbishop of Barcelona. Over 3,500 people attended including the President and Prime Minister of Portugal and various members of the government of Catalonia, and the cities of Barcelona, Madrid and Cambrils.
Earlier in the day on Saturday, Felipe and Letizia visited the wounded at two area hospitals, Saint Pau Hospital and Hospital del Mar. His Majesty briefly spoke to the press, as well, saying that Spain would not live in fear. The King also said, “This vile, cowardly attack, this murder that has killed and injured so many people and has shocked us, cannot and will not be able to live with us. Neither with our values, neither with our coexistence, neither with our democracy or our appreciation for human rights. ”
“Barcelona will never forget the victims, neither will Spain or anyone else in the world.”
On Friday, 18 August, King Felipe attended the moment of silence at noon in Barcelona at the Plaça de Catalunya.