The Norwegian Royal Court has informed the public in a statement Friday afternoon that Crown Princess Mette-Marit will not go to New York together with Crown Prince Haakon next week. The Crown Princess has light pneumonia and has to stay home on the advice of her doctor. She is advised not to go on a long journey because of the pneumonia with reduced general conditions, says a press release from the Royal Palace.
There was a little warning about her illness when Crown Prince Haakon last Thursday came alone to an event in Oslo, where the Crown Princess also should have attended. Then the Royal Court said that Mette-Crown Princess Mette-Marit was ill but not seriously. At this event, it was intended that the Crown Princess was to have made a speech. This was instead taken on by Crown Prince Haakon. Emphasis was placed by the palace that there was no joke for the press to dramatises the disease, but now the palace has chosen to issue out with a message that the illness persists.
Now it turns out that she has pneumonia – and must be home when Crown Prince Haakon next week begins a three-day visit to New York, where he along with other European royalty and world-stars were to be present at the anniversary of the United Nations. Crown Prince Haakon Magnus has been a “Goodwill-ambassador” for the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) since 2003. The Crown Prince has a busy schedule in New York next week.
It is planned several events in Oslo next week in connection with the awards ceremony of the Nobel Peace Prize. The Royal Court would tonight not make any comments about this. Also in November last year, Crown Princess Mette-Marit canceled a long-planned official trip to Brazil because of lung-problems. In 2015, the communication-manager at the Norwegian palace said tMette-Maritarit was undergoing treatment for recurrent respiratory infections.