His Royal Highness Prince Henrik of Denmark, the husband of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, has been transferred from the Rigshospitalet to Fredensborg Palace, where he wishes to spend the remaining days of his life. The Danish Royal Court adds that the condition of the Prince remains serious.
Queen Margrethe has cancelled her engagements this Friday, the only ones she had planned this week, to be by her husband’s side.
The Royal Danish House said in a statement on Friday that Prince Henrik’s health has taken a turn for the worse.
In full they said: “The state of His Royal Highness Prince Henrik’s health has unfortunately severely worsened.
“His Royal Highness The Crown Prince has thus discontinued his stay in South Korea, where he was in conjunction with the Winter Olympics. The Crown Prince is now on his way to Denmark.
“Kongehuset currently has no additional information.”
The 83-year-old Prince has been hospitalised since 28 January in Copenhagen’s Rigshospitalet after returning from Egypt for further testing. He had initially been in hospital in Egypt. It was announced at the beginning of February that he had a benign tumour on his left lung and was suffering from pneumonia. He was diagnosed with dementia in September of last year.
All members of the immediate Danish Royal Family have visited Henrik’s hospital bedside numerous times. His siblings, with the exception of one sister who is too ill to make the trip, have travelled from France to visit their brother, as well.
The Prince’s younger brother, Étienne de Monpezat, recently told the press that Henrik only has a “matter of weeks” to live. He said, “I know my brother is not well. It seems to be a matter of weeks.”
We will keep you updated as more information regarding his health is announced.