The Duke of Cambridge came to the aid of a young boy last week who became ill after choking on some peanuts.
Prince William’s air ambulance crew were called out to the small town of Bishop’s Stortford in Hertfordshire where the three year old boy fell ill at his school’s playground after he ate peanuts, which he is allergic to.
Luke Swyers is believed to have eaten the peanuts after he mistook them for chocolate coated raisins. After he started to experience breathing difficulties and began to choke, the family immediately dialled 999.
Luke’s mum Donna said: “He was indicating that he couldn’t breathe properly, he was pointing to his throat.
“My mum turned him upside-down and hit him on the back to try and move the obstruction and he vomited.
“My friends saw what was going on. They went over to help.”
An air ambulance was dispatched to try and help Luke and to quickly get him to hospital. The 2nd in line to the throne was piloting the aircraft, and didn’t get out of the helicopter.
William’s colleagues Dr Akos Soti and critical care paramedic Tim Daniels were also on board and helped treat Luke.
Speaking of the air ambulance team that helped treat Luke, Donna said: “When it really counts, the NHS are there for you. They are marvellous. Everyone at the hospital, the doctors on the air ambulance and Prince William himself – I want to say thank you.”
Before becoming a pilot with the East Anglian Air Ambulance service, Prince William was in the Household Cavalry before training as an RAF Search and Rescue Pilot with the Royal Air Force. He graduated as a fully operational pilot in September 2010.
The Duke of Cambridge earns a salary of £40,000 a year for his work, but donates it all to charity.