Hereditary Grand Duke of Guillaume of Luxemburg turns 35 today. Here are ten facts about the royal:
- Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume was born on 11 November 1981 as the oldest son of Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxemburg in the Grand Duchess Charlotte Maternity Hospital.
- He was officially titled “His Royal Highness Guillaume, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg” during an investiture ceremony at the Grand Ducal Palace on 18 December 2000.
- Guillaume grew up in a big family as he has four siblings: brothers Prince Félix, Prince Louis and Prince Sébastien and sister Princess Alexandra. He’s also godfather to his youngest brother Prince Sébastien.
- The Hereditary Grand Duke is a well-educated man. He holds degrees in political science, philosophy, and anthropology. He has studied in Luxembourg, Switzerland, and England. Furthermore, he attended the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in England. Since 2002, he is a lieutenant in the Luxembourgish army.
- He has done several internships including at the Belgian Chemical Union and Deutsche Bank in London.
- Guillaume has five godchildren. Next to his youngest brother Sébastien, his other godchildren are his nephew Prince Noah of Nassau (son of his brother Prince Louis & Princess Tessy), his cousin Prince Paul Louis of Nassau, Prince Emmanuel of Belgium (son of King Philippe & Queen Mathilde of Belgium) and Princess Ariane of the Netherlands (daughter of King Willem-Alexander & Queen Maxima).
- Guillaume speaks at least five languages. He speaks Luxembourgish, German, French, Spanish, and English fluently.
- On 26 April 2012, the engagement of Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume and the Belgian Countess Stéphanie de Lannoy was announced.
- On 19 October 2012, Guillaume married Stéphanie in a civil ceremony. The next day their religious wedding took place in the Cathedral of Luxembourg. The couple has been married for four years now.
- Guillaume enjoys sports and music. He loves football, volleyball, and swimming, in particular. His wife Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie has also said Guillaume is a great chef. He loves cooking and trying out new dishes.
All of us at Royal Central wish him a very happy birthday!